Selected Topics-0006_A Breakdown of Supply and Demand for Display Driver ICs in 2023
The demand for large-size display driver ICs in 2023 is set to increase seasonally with panel demand. However, due to conservative stockpiling by the supply chain, a potential shortage could surface in the latter half of 2023. The issue of smartphone TDDI (Touch and Display Driver Integration) inventory is predicted to ease in 2023, with production largely shifting to Chinese wafer fabs. Over time, IC manufacturers are expected to expand the application of TDDI into medium-sized panels, such as those for tablets and automotive displays. After a brief supply crunch, AMOLED driver ICs will likely face an excess supply in 2023 due to falling demand and rising supply. A key factor to observe will be whether the upcoming 28nm production capacity can sufficiently meet market demand.
Table of Contents
1. Current Supply and Demand for Large-Size Panel Driver ICs
(1) Fluctuations in demand for large-size panel driver ICs
(2) An analysis of supply and demand for large-size panel driver ICs
(3) Divergence of Chinese and American Supply Chains under US Semiconductor Regulations
2. Supply and Demand for Smartphone TDDI
3. Supply and Demand for Smartphone AMOLED Driver ICs
(1) Supply and demand for AMOLED driver ICs
(2) Development of RAM-less AMOLED driver ICs
4. TRI's View
(1) Supply and demand for large-size panel driver ICs
(2) Divergence of Chinese and American supply chains under US semiconductor regulations
(3) Supply and demand for smartphone TDDI
(4) Supply and demand for AMOLED driver ICs
(5) Development of RAM-less AMOLED driver ICs
Today, using smartphones to take photos has become a popular way for people to record and share everyday memories. Camera performance has also become an important factor for consumers when deciding to purchase a new smartphone. However, unlike traditional digital single-lens reflex cameras (DSLRs), smartphones are designed to be lightweight and slim. Therefore, adopting a larger CMOS image sensor (CIS) or a heavier lens assembly to improve photoshoot is not practical. To overcome this physical limitation, advanced image signal processors (ISPs) and innovative computational photography algorithms are used to significantly enhance the imaging quality of smartphone cameras. These solutions can effectively compensate for the shortcoming of not being able to incorporate larger optical components into a smartphone camera.
High-performance computing can handle the workload of automotive electrification, internet of vehicles, ADAS, and autonomous driving technologies, and is capable of adapting to the constantly changing demands of the external environment. This report primarily analyzes the automotive digitalization market, trends in high-performance computing for vehicles, and the key drivers for chip vendors' commercialization solutions in the industry.
In just six short months, AI has advanced from generating text, images, music, and code, to automation and generative agents, exhibiting astonishing capabilities. This report, aside from focusing on the latest developments in AI, also probes into how governments and industries are formulating strategies to ensure positive AI advancements, as well as analyzes the timeline for large-scale implementation of AIGC and its impact on the demand for AI servers.
Research DirectorySemiconductor Research Display Research Optoelectronics Research Green Energy Research ICT Applications Research